Google

Friday, September 7, 2007

The grace is greater than the fall

The grace is greater than the fall
By Jon Walker

“And I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.” (Philippians 1:6, NLT)

It won’t be long until I celebrate my annual 39th birthday.

As I get older I see life in segments. There’s no longer a rush to do it all – and to do it all now. The good and the bad and everything in between are all just temporary. Maybe that’s what Paul meant when he exhorted us to be content in all circumstances. The goal should be toward that godly contentment, not toward cursing the circumstances.

There were many years when I did curse the circumstances of my life, but that’s because I had my theology wrong. Despite everything I claimed to believe, deep in my heart, I embraced the false notion that there were certain events in my life beyond God’s control and that those events had more power to shape me than God did. That borders on existentialism, certainly not Bible-believing Christianity. Yet, as I meet more and more Christians, I see them embracing the same false belief.

There’s a wonderful song by the musical group Satellite Soul that says, “And if your story doesn’t wind up ending happy after all, there’s a grace that’s there, it’s everywhere, and it’s equal to the fall.”

Frankly, his grace is even greater than the fall. Your story’s not over; and God is more powerful than any event or decision from your past; and his grace is there for it all. That’s a comfortable fact to rest in. Celebrate that knowledge, and live life accordingly.

Point to ponder: God is more powerful than your circumstances, and his forgiveness is bigger than your failure.

Verse: “And I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.” (Philippians 1:6, NLT)

What will you do about it: Stop fretting over past mistakes, stop cursing disappointing circumstances. Accept God’s grace to cover your mistakes and his ability to work all things out for your benefit and his glory.

Prayer: Ask God to make you content and trustful.

0 komentar:

Daily bread Archive