Google

Monday, September 3, 2007

Sticking with God's map

Sticking with God's map
By Tom Holladay

“Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.” (Proverbs 3:5-6, Msg)

This is one of my favorite passages in the book of Proverbs because it so clearly tells me where the direction that I need for everyday life comes from.

Those words "He will direct your paths" (or, in the translation above, “keep you on track”) are among the most comforting and the most empowering of all the phrases in the Bible.

Most people have a genuine desire to know God's direction. We want to know the path that he wants us to be on.

This verse stands as God's promise that instead of just having to guess at his direction, I can be confident in it. One of the most practical ways that I can trust the Lord instead of my own understanding is to allow the Bible to become the checkpoint for all of my decisions.

I've found again and again that if, when facing an important decision, I'll just pray, "God show me the right way from the truth in the Bible" - he does!

Whenever I do that, it seems that every chapter I read and every teaching or word of advice I hear over the next few days points me in the right direction.

You may be reading this devotional at the very time you are facing an all-important decision. I encourage you to pray this prayer for God's direction, and then to listen.

The answer might not be what you expected – in fact, it probably won't be what you expected! But you will never regret listening for and then trusting in God's direction.

Point to ponder: God wants to lead and direct you – he’s just waiting for you to ask.

Verse: “Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.” (Proverbs 3:5-6, Msg)

What will you do about it: The next time you face a decision, include God. Ask him to show you from his Word what you should do. Then open your Bible.

Prayer: Tell God you don’t want to be a lone ranger. Tell him you want to be directed by him, and ask him to make his paths clear.

0 komentar:

Daily bread Archive